Friday, April 3, 2009

On This Date...

Hard as it is to believe (for me, anyway), it was 34 years ago today that I made my first professional sale as a writer. Nick Cuti, assistant editor for Charlton Comics in 1975, sent me this letter...

...Informing me that they were buying this 5-page story, art by Mike Zeck, and published in Scary Tales #3 (December 1975). As ever, click on an image for a better view...



Thanks again, Nick! Seeing as how I didn't miss a cliche or an opportunity to wax purple (I was 19...it was a simpler time...really!), it's a miracle you saw any chance for me at all. It's been a lot of four color ink under the bridge since.

(Jeez, I couldn't even deliver the punchline...!)

3 comments:

rob! said...

Fun story, and well drawn by Zeck.

Nice coloring, too--even with that cruddy Charlton paper stock!

B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B said...

thanks for posting this paul! haven't seen this in over 20 years. i grew up reading charlston comics, this is my favorite story, i especially like the twist in the end.